Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Total Stress - The most normal email from a college student, says mom's friend...

Thu, Oct 27, 2011
Alex,
I would advise you not to drive anywhere tonight, we are expecting sleet, maybe snow, and freezing rain, and you know how dangerous black ice is. Can you walk to wherever you’re going? If not, be extremely careful, esp. when driving others.
What’s going on otherwise? Mom
Michael emailed me last night. He kept going on about how much better the library at our university is compared to his haha oh gosh I'm going to ruin him
This weather makes me want to go to salem wahhhhhhhhhhhh
Yeah I know, Salem is awesome. It’ll be there a long time, don’t worry.
Please make sure to call Wegman’s Human Resources Dept. and inquire about the status of your application. This shows you’re interested in the position. Do this with all the other places you applied to. Just call the main number of each business and ask for Human Resources dept.
Good luck, have a nice day, Mom
Wednesday, November 16, 2011Hi Schatz, good morning,
Please call Stop and Save to inquire about the status of your application.
its called stop and shop
right now i really cant look for a job i have SO much work right now and i'm so stressed i have a test on friday another one on tuesday 3 HUGE projects coming up all right after each other i have to make my big a paddle cuz shes graduating and its tradition in every greek org all over the world that you make them a paddle when they graduate and present it at the formal
 i need a formal dress still and elections are comin up for positions in my sorority and i need to make a speech so i can get elected for the position i want and like i have money for the paddle and a dress and whatever else but like all these expenses are comin up at once plus like christmas is comin and i need to buy presents plus birthday presents cuz everyones birthday is in january and i need a job but idk y i cant find one i have really bad insomnia lately and cant sleep at night so m dead all day i dont have time right now for anything  and i just want this effin semester to end
All right, breathe. The world is not ending, it just feels like it.

Do your schoolwork, don’t worry about a job right now, one will come up eventually. You still have money from the one I brought back from Germany, we’ll just have to take some from there. How much do you have in the account right now? I can also check when I go to the bank this morning. Keep Christmas small, don’t stress out over it, everybody knows college students are poor. I will support you financially as much as possible as long as you concentrate on schoolwork.
So relax, do your school work, try to sleep, and you’re done in less than a month.
I am praying for you, give everything over to God, He’ll take care of you.
Sending well wishes your way,
Love Mom
Then I forwarded Alex’s email to a young co-worker who survived college and gives the best advice. I just needed to vent myself, because emails like these panic me a little. My co-worker wrote back that Al’s email is the most normal thing she’s ever seen and that if someone is not broke and stressed for at least a certain length of college, they’re not doing it right. Al is learning to suck up and cope. It’s all part of what you learn at college. Yes, the book learning is important, but a lot of college life is about learning how to deal with multiple deadlines and pressures so you are getting prepared for the real world. Just be sympathetic, but let her deal with it. She needs to vent right now more than anything. Nothing in her mail sounds like the world is about to end even though it feels like it to her. Don’t fix her problems for her. They’re normal, everyone goes through this at times, she has to learn how to solve them on her own. Just watch the insomnia which is most likely stress and worry. This time of year is a miserable time in college because everything comes due at the same time and you also have the holiday stress to deal with. There will be tears and upset emails and personal drama. And then everyone moves on.
Three hours later: Alexandra wrote: Okay I'm better now, I did my math test and I knew what I was doing so I think I did good I ordered the paddle and the stuff that goes with last night and got it for an okay price better than the other website so now I just need a dress nd like I have money in the account its just when a lot of stuff comes up at once I get nervous
 

No comments:

Post a Comment