Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tally of first semester

So now she’s home for a month, having completed her first semester. I had beautiful auburn hair before she left for college, now it is streaked with gray. Alexandra couldn’t wait to get home on Friday, the next day she complained that she’d rather be at school than home. I can relate to that, because whenever I go home to visit my family, it takes me three days to adjust. She was in a miserable mood all weekend, thank goodness she had to work long hours and wasn’t around much. I guess the internal struggle between being a cared-for-child and an independent adult is in full swing.
From the day Alexandra was born, I raised her bilingual. I created flashcards as seen in the Better Baby program and “studied” with her every day. I implemented the Montessori Method at home. We traveled. We visited museums and Science Centers, parks and playgrounds, especially in New York City. She was surrounded by a variety of religions, cultures and age groups. I breast-fed her for several months, I ate right, I read to her every day until her teenage years. She was a Girl Scout from beginning to end, having achieved the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Award, and two religious awards. She trained with the toughest coach in Irish Dancing for eight years and competed in front of hundreds of people. She has both parents living under the same roof. We taught her to save and budget, to write thank you letters, and to cover your mouth when you yawn. She was raised in the church and celebrated her communion and confirmation. I pray with her every night.
She should be a genius, but she is an average student. She is rather selfish with that entitlement feeling that swept through their generation. Her compassion skills are underdeveloped.
Her GPA for the first semester is good enough to pledge for her chosen sorority, but not much above it. She worked 53 hours in the mall in 2 weeks and earned her spending money for the next semester, so she can study and pledge without having to work on her days off during the coming semester.
PS: Mom got an A- in Algebra

No comments:

Post a Comment